If someone you know suffers from addiction, it could put them at an increased risk of an overdose. It’s important that you educate yourself on the steps to take in case of an emergency due to an overdose. Today is International Overdose Day, take a few minutes to learn the steps to take in case of an emergency due to an overdose.
A person may have overdosed if:
• They can’t be woken and/or don’t respond to pain
• They are not breathing or are breathing very slowly
• Their lips, gums and fingertips are turning blue or purple
• They are making an unusual gurgling or loud snoring sound
• Their pupils are very small
If someone is overdosing, call 911 immediately. If you suspect that their overdose is due to opioids or other street drugs, a naloxone kit may be used until help arrives.